NOTE: This web page is old now, but has not yet been updated to reflect that past this note. Since it is gaining recognition please revisit to see updates. ETA: Unknown, soon I hope. 2014-06-12 111111
So far I have found 7 distinct Prohibitionist Mindsets. Below is a chart which provides an overview.
Even though 7 mindsets have been identified, others may come to light.
Most Prohibitionists have one or more mindsets and only some people cling exclusively to one mindset.
- False Prophets of Prohibition — Predicting, prophesying, proselytizing, manipulative terror.
- Men (and Women) of Lawlessness — In favor of No Laws. If they can’t have that, then they prefer: Too Many, Too Complex, and/or Too Strict Laws, the other side of the Coin of Lawlessness.
- The Deceived — Their logic rests on false assumptions, inaccurate details, handed down historical misreporting, and even outright lies.
- Holier-Than-Thou-Congregation — Convinced they’re right and their will is also God’s will. Convinced they must force their will, their likes, dislikes, and tastes on others through human laws.
- High Priests of Assigning Permanent Shame — Making up and enforcing ill-conceived human traditions to spread needless harm, insult, social and financial kick-downs, etc…
- Thug Addicts — Both sides of the law; the “hands-on” guys and gals who love their adrenaline rush of physically enforcing prohibition and those who take advantage of the propped up prices which prohibition causes. Fist/knife/gun/tank/rocket is their idol, through their might they think they make right.
- In-the-Closet Hypocrites — The guilt-ridden sociopaths who aid and abet Drug War. These are among the people who scream against something the loudest.
There are a few key distinguishing characteristics among the Prohibitionists’ Mindsets.
Each Prohibitionist Mindset contains these fields:
- Key Characteristics
- Religious Motivations?
- Profits from Prohibition?
- On Both Sides of the Drug War?
- Think it’s Possible to Win the Drug War?
- Think it’s Possible to have a “Drug Free” World?
- Specific Job Examples (Some in those groups.)
To recap, each Prohibitionist Mindset is distinct from the others in important ways. Most Prohibitionists harbor one or more mindsets as gut feelings and in their spaghetti logic. The mindset of the Prohibitionists you encounter should inform how you speak to them. But don’t forget, most Prohibs harbor more than one mindset, so as you address a particular concern, expect another to follow it.
Figuring out how to speak to them can be a challenge, so here’s a tip. Since prohibition is fundamentally and intrinsically flawed, you just need to lead them in the direction of the conclusions of what their suggestions-masquerading-as-reasons are. The easiest way to do this is to ask questions. You do not need to be an expert in statistics or have any personal experience with drugs or drug users. Just begin your comments with, “so what you’re saying is…” then show them the logical conclusion of what they are saying. Don’t use a tone of voice that “tells” them what they are saying; use the same tone of voice you use when asking a question.
“So what you’re saying is ‘everyone will become an addict?’”
“So what you’re saying is ‘all the people who choose not to do drugs now, will run out and ravenously gulp down drugs?’”
“So what you’re saying is ‘we do not have enough prisons?’”
Feel free to send more suggested question via the contact page.)