Social Objection to Ending Prohibition
“Ending prohibition will make it easier for children to get ahold of drugs.”
- Legalizing and regulating drugs puts them in the hands of responsible adults to dispense them; adults who can be held accountable.
- The black market (adults) use kids and gangs as proxies to deal the drugs so the adults can avoid harsh penalties.
- Since kids are dealing drugs it's easier for other kids to get them.
- Kids who have never tried drugs are much more likely to accept and try drugs from a cool upperclassman (with his/her fancy clothes, sneakers, and other bling) than an adult stranger who offers it to them.
- Over and over, when asked, kids say it's much more difficult to obtain alcohol and cigarettes than illegal drugs. Why? Alcohol vendors are regulated and can only sell to people above a set age.