In 2003, the United States Patent Office awarded the Department of Health and Human Services patent #6,630,507, “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants.” (In case you don’t know, cannabis is another name for marijuana. AND in case you don't know, neuroprotection means protection for your your brain, where there are many neurons, your spine, where there are also many neurons, and other aspects of your nervous system.)
Here are some (layman-converted-for-laymen) excerpts from the abstract in the awarded patent:
This property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prevention of a wide variety of oxidation associated diseases: inflammation, age-related diseases, autoimmune diseases, and lack of blood-flow to the brain.
Cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following lack of blood-flow to the brain, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia.
What can we conclude from this?
- Researchers for the U.S. Government found that aspects of the marijuana plant have antioxidant properties.
- Researchers for the U.S. Government found that aspects of the marijuana plant have positive effects on health and specifically for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Researchers for the U.S. Government found aspects of the marijuana plant were very beneficial for patients who experienced lack of blood-flow to the brain; for example strokes and head injuries.
- Researchers for the U.S. Government were more interested in figuring out the scientific truth in an effort to help individuals and society, rather than the opposition which is engaged in a money grabbing, power grabbing, fear and lie spreading, self-aggrandizing war.
- The U.S. Government reviewed this research and considered it worthy enough to grant a patent on it.
- The U.S. Government is still promoting the illegal, and scientifically-proven-wrong idea, that the marijuana plant has no medical benefits.
- Many elderly people could really benefit from the marijuana plant, the buds in particular.
- Many people with Parkinson's disease could really benefit from the marijuana plant, the buds in particular.
- Many others could really benefit from the use of this plant, the buds in particular.